Tuesday 7 April 2020

More Daily Walks and Summer Visitors.

I have been going out for walks every morning this week, and spending the rest of the time working in the garden. Basically its been Aston End on Sunday and today, and Fairlands Lakes yesterday. I've been averaging 4-5 miles daily so at least I'm getting fit (ish). The issues I had earlier in the year with my legs seem to have gradually gone as the temperature has increased and it probably has a lot to do with my metabolism and endocrine problems as I always seem to suffer badly in the winter months.

On Sunday, the walk around Aston end produced a lot of the usual suspects that occur, including a couple of Nuthatch territories, which now seem to be encountered regularly here. Summer visitors included one Blackcap, seven Chiffchaffs and the first Willow Warbler (possibly the first reported in Hertfordshire this year).

Monday was cloudy and cooler so I thought that the Lakes would be worthwhile. Five singing Chiffchaffs seem to be around the same as my previous visit, so I guess that most territories are filled. There were also two Blackcaps again. Over the boating lake, while counting the Cormorants (five) I noticed a flock of hirundines. They all seemed to be Swallows, and I reckoned that there were at least eight, and as I was going through the flock I realised there were also two House Martins. The flock didn't linger and moved off north. I wasn't really expecting much more else, particularly on the main lake which just had a couple of gulls, but a Common Tern appeared as I reached the south end. I checked the last years Firecrest spot and then headed home.

I thought it might be a good day to search for Wheatear or Ring Ouzels as there were a lot of ploughed fields and the  stroll around Aston end and Chells Manor showed how quickly things change at this time of year.  Chiffchaffs were about the same, and in the same spots, there were now two Willow Warblers-both near the river and paddocks, but Blackcaps had risen with nine singing birds. Lots of Yellowhammers and Skylark singing, and being warm, a lot of Buzzards and Kites were up. Three Nuthatch territories now, and at least four Great Spotted Woodpeckers drumming.
I was also getting a lot of Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells, and probably because it was fairly early and a weekday, a lot of rabbits and my first Hare in this area for several years.
Later on while gardening, I had my year's first Orange Tip.

No comments: