Monday 13 April 2020

Daily Birding and Old Sightings

I'm still doing my early morning walks, as per the Government advice. Naturally I am recording the birds I see, or perhaps more importantly, hear. In order to make things more meaningful, I am trying to count everything, rather than just a few of the more interesting species, though things like corvids and Wood Pigeons being so abundant and mobile are just noted as present, and the results have been uploaded to eBird, and any significant observations also end up on the Bird Club sightings page.
It's been an interesting exercise. Species numbers seem to vary dramatically on a daily basis. Obviously there is a major timing aspect in that I have to be present when the bird is making a noise or flying around, and birds are very mobile. Overall though there is a consistency to things with the resident Blackbirds, Tits, Robins etc. I've got a pretty good idea where most of the Blackcap and Chiffchaff territories are, andI know how many Nuthatches and Woodpeckers are in each bit of wood I visit. The problem, as expected, seems to be some of the migrants. I found my first Willow Warbler along the river Beane a couple of weeks back, and I thought it had established a territory as it was around for over a week, but I couldn't locate it on the last couple of visits. On the other hand, I did locate another bird in another spot near Aston End, which also seems suitable habitat. Unfortunately Willow Warblers have been declining here in recent years and I suspect birds stay for a bit and then move on.
I am also starting to record more things as well. I've had spreadsheet lists of orchids, butterflies and dragonflies for many years now, and have started to get more serious about plants, bees and so on. For the last five years I have been using the Scythebill recording program for birds, which enables easy uploading to eBird, and users have created a number of extra lists for other groups, so I can record everything in one place.
The other bonus to the program is nostalgia, and also a few surprises. Back in March I started to transfer my old notebook observations, starting with 1996, and I am now half way through 1994. It's brought back many memories of past twitches, and I seem to be able to recall details of most of them, so in these days of lockdown I am at least still twitching even if it is all past glories. I also had a bit of a shock as well. Back then I wasn't really noting insects except on odd occasions and for years I have been rather annoyed in never having Scotch Argus on my butterfly spreadsheets. Well as it turns out I saw abundant numbers back in Perthshire in August 1994, which I had completely forgotten about, but the memory has been triggered by the old notes.
There are another 15 or so books to go through, and an awful lot of sightings to transfer, so its a good job that I have plenty of time on my hands at the moment

No comments: