Friday 10 January 2020

Lunar Eclipse.

I wasn't really prepared for this tonight, since its generally been cloudy and or raining. So I basically stuck my head out of the window, saw the full Moon was well up in the clear east sky band grabbed the Panasonic GX8 and shot handheld with the zoom set to 400mm.
Normally if I had thought it through this afternoon I would have had the 115mm f7 apo refractor set up and ready though that generally guarantees poor weather. I would have certainly obtained a much better image scale and resolution.


One very nice benefit of the mirrorless cameras is that the live viewfinder view gives a very good impression of the actual exposure. I needed to dial in 3 stops of underexposure to avoid the highlights blowing out.
Very similar to the eclipse that I photographed from exactly the same spot 39 years and one day ago, though that was on  slide film and I used a 200mm zoom lens on my Pentax MX. The results weren't exactly brilliant but the slides are still knocking around in a cupboard somewhere.

No comments: