Saturday 18 January 2020

Hawfinch at Bramfield

While waiting to take Mum out shopping this morning, I was watching the garden for a few minutes, and noticed two birds fly in that looked a bit different to the regular visitors. I was surprised to see a female Blackcap only a few yards away, and a male further back. I've always assumed that they are regular winter visitors, but with only a few hours coverage a month at this time, it's hardly surprising I rarely get to see any.
After the shopping trip, I drove down to Bramfield church, just as Colin was leaving. After a bit of a gap, some Hawfinches have returned for winter, and one at least has been showing over the morning.
I had to wait a while before it showed, in the big bare tree in the garden north of the church.


I kept an eye on the surrounding fields while I was there, but apart from a couple of Kites the only birds of note were a small flock of Fieldfares.
Some of the regulars were present, but I was surprised when Graham White appeared. I had to ask what he was doing here, as he gets Hawfinches around his garden most winters, but apparently the views this year haven't been all that good!
After around an hour, I left and had a drive around the area hoping to find a Golden Plover flock, or some more thrushes but it turned out to be very quiet in the countryside.

No comments: