Tuesday 13 July 2021

June and some Dragonflies.

 Writing this in mid July, and it feels like it is still May, with Summer yet to start. I have seen very few butterflies in the last month or so, and many f summer birds are in short supply still. A lot of the plants in the garden haven't got going yet-one or two have only recently emerged, the tomatoes have only just started flowering (last year we were harvesting them by now) and some of the tropical plants are not looking brilliant.

I haven't travelled far, many weekends have been damp and dull again so all I have really done is the usual walks around Aston End and Fairlands Lakes, with little of note. I did manage to get and evening walk in along the Beane with my bat detector but only got a couple of Pipistrelle hits. I also heard Tawny and Little Owls in the usual spots.

I did get over to see Sarah and Ed one day , and she took me out in the afternoon on one of her regular walks. Last year she had found a Pyramidal orchid by the cricket pitch, and we saw several this time, including one monster in someone's drive, but but then again, one has also appeared in her garden. This year, there were also many Bee orchids in the village, which was nice to see.

I also paid a visit to Amwell on a warm sunny day and managed to see most of the dragonflies that I could expect to see (and having only seen one or two Azure Damsels in my pond, they were the very nice to see). Probably the best news regarding these is the large numbers of Norfolk Hawkers that are now present on site, and for that matter elsewhere in the Lea Valley. They really do seem to be expanding rapidly throughout the south east now. Here are a few images from the morning.








No comments: