Saturday 10 April 2021

Easter and Recent Weeks

 I have still been sticking to the Stevenage area over the last month or so, but since we were allowed officially to get out and about a bit more from early April I have travelled a bit more.

Fairlands has not been visited as much as in the past year. On a couple of occasions I went down in on Saturday afternoons but found it to be far too busy with large crowds, dogs everywhere and quite a bit of disturbance. I did pop down very early on Good Friday and it was nice and quiet. My first singing Blackcaps were heard-five males and a silent female, and there were three singing Chiffchaffs. My first Swallows were also in, mainly sitting on wires by the climbing frame with a few feeding over the lakes. There had been a House Martin earlier as well. Unfortunately a week before a Redshank and an Oystercatcher were around early one morning as I drove past on the way to work, but news arrived too late, and the same week a few Sand martins had gone through.

I've only been around Aston End once since I last wrote, on March 20th. The river level has dropped considerably and the ground was rather dry. About the only things of note were what was presumed to be a build up of pre migration flocks. Starlings numbered around 200, Redwing 125 and Fieldfare 260, largely between Lords Farm and the south end of Walkern. In all likelihood these numbers were rather conservative.

I have missed a large number of spring migrants. Two visits to the Ashwell dungheaps hasn't produced much, most of the good stuff has been seen while at work. The weather wasn't good for me either, cold and windy so no Wheatear, or Yellow and White Wagtails. A nice flock of around 175 Golden Plover in breeding plumage was nice to see though. Never mind as I had a long weekend prior to Easter with a view to finding migrants-it was during the late March warm spell with good southerly winds bringing in lots of stuff. Unfortunately a swollen ankle and tendon put paid to that-shame as that morning was supposed to be spent at Norton and Langley where 6 Wheatear were showing well. Places like Coopers Green pits were also pulling in lots of waders hirundines and Wagtails as well. 

Easter Sunday morning was spent at Tyttenhanger, my first visit in nearly a year. It was bitterly cold with occasional sleety snow so not very pleasant and I only lasted an hour. There has been a lot of work on improving the Tree Sparrow population with several new feeding stations erected. Very popular with the tits and Robins, but I did get to see a pair of Sparrows. The main pit was rather empty, water levels high and only a mixed gull flock and a few Tufted Duck,Teal and Shoveller. Some rather frozen hirundines were trying to feed over the water, I counted two Swallows and eight House Martins.

Earlier this week Ring Ouzels have started to appear. One has been present at Damask Green just outside of Weston for a while, first reported on the 7th along with a male Redstart, and still there today 10th April. I paid a visit after work on the 8th, but it was rather windy and there was some uncertainty of where it was. In the end I covered several fields and hedges around the various grid references with another hopeful birder but without success. A visit this morning was also unsuccessful. Mike Illett had reported it earlier along with a Wheatear and I covered the same area as before. This time it was cold windy with heavy drizzle. Fortunately Bill Last appeared with better information-basically we had been searching the right hedge all along, but the Ouzel spends a lot of time in the bushes and I think the weather has been against us. Luckily Bill refound the male Redstart and while flighty showed fairly well at times in the now pouring rain.

No comments: