Wednesday 23 December 2020

White Fronted Goose Stevenage

 Bit of a drag at work this week with only a few people in, and basically tidying up loose ends. So I was browsing social media as one does to while away the time and nearly fell off my chair when I saw a photo of a juvenile Russian Greater White Fronted Goose half a mile away in the town centre park. There has been a bit of an influx inland at some odd locations recently, but I wasn't expecting one in the middle of town.

I had a bit of frustrating wait until knocking off time and was wondering how to get there as parking and traffic in the area isnt good, but luckily I got a message from Tom Spellar that it was at Fairlands.

A quick scan of the main lake after I arrived revealed a flock of Canada's with a smaller goose on the far bank so I headed there and was able to confirm it was the White Front. Unfortunately, but not unexpected, a dog walker scattered them and most swam into the middle, luckily a few were heading to the east bank and I was able to get a few snaps with the phone. Nice easy twitch, and my first county White Front for some time.




No comments: