Saturday 19 December 2020

Still Here

 It's been some time since I last wrote anything here. The last half of my holiday coincided with the governments tier system coming into effect, and while it would be possible for Colin and I to meet up somewhere, we wouldn't be able to travel together without social distancing (?). So any long distance twitching would be doubly expensive, not exactly environmentally friendly and we would put ourselves at increased covid risk.

So i went back to my furlough routine of gardening and local walks. A couple of times I drove out to Wallington in the hope of getting the Merlin (and Hen Harrier and Short Eared Owl are up there as well) but so far without success. There have also been a few Amwell visits where the Crossbills have shown a few times but I have yet to see the Bittern and Red Crested Pochards that are usually present.

Locally the weather has made things difficult recently with plenty of rain at times. The Beane is now flowing which is good to see but run off from the fields has made the going very soft along the footpaths. The winter thrushes-mainly Redwing with some Fieldfare and Blackbirds are starting to increase but I have found it rather tough trying to track down finches and Buntings. In early November I located a large Chaffinch flock at Aston Water Tower with a couple of locally scarce Brambling, but since then its been very quiet with only a few Yellowhammers in the hedges. Fortunately Siskin seem to be visiting Fairlands Lakes at times, and the Kingfisher is still there too.

On another topic, the 115mm refractor has been dusted off again and I have had a couple of views of the Jupiter-Saturn conjunction. Very low in the sky once it's dark enough to pick the brighter Jupiter up atmospheric dispersion and turbulence have made things difficult to put it mildly, but earlier this evening (19th December) I got a pretty good sequence of which this is probably the best.




No comments: