Monday 19 August 2019

A Visit to Amwell Cut Short

Another weekend without any photographs.
Saturday was supposed to be rather windy, with showers at times, so I did the usual shopping run and followed up with some garden pottering. Turned out to be rather nice and perhaps I should have gone out somewhere. Still, glad I decided to not go to the Bird Fair as it seems to have been a rather muddy one.
The forecast for Sunday should have been pretty good, warm and sunny but there wasn't much around so I popped down to Amwell in the hope of going round Hollycross for the dragonflies. I wasn't expecting much and Barrys greeting along the lines  "hope you've going to give us a laugh and cheer us up" more or less confirmed my suspicions.
I had apparently missed the local Peregrine and a few late Swifts had gone through so there were a few things about. Despite the rather good conditions of the lake shore and water levels there weren't any waders apart from a reasonable number of Lapwing and two mobile Common Sandpipers. A couple of times everything was put up by the two resident Sparrowhawks and one Hobby was hunting over the woods. The only other raptors were four Buzzards.
Didn't seem to be any wildfowl other than the summering birds, and only one Common Tern remained from the small breeding colony. Everyone had gone for the usual Sunday walk about leaving me with Ron so we spent some time chatting, but abut an hour after I arrived rain started to set in-not in the forecast and it gradually got heavier. This brought in an adult Common Gull-my first of the winter and a small flock of Sand Martins. Ideally it should have brought in a decent wader and we stuck it out for a bit but as nothing arrived we both decided that it wasn't worth getting wet so we called it a day. Naturally by midday it was warm sunny and dry.

No comments: