Thursday 4 July 2019

Garden Orchids

These are only snaps with the the phone.
Epipactis gigantea is a helleborine that is widely cultivated. Ive had little success in the past with bare rooted plants but managed to obtain a large pot last year at Hyde hall flower show. This was overwintered in the pot and once the shoots appeared in spring (demonstrating that it was at least alive) I planted it out. The flower stem is only a few inches high-it should reach 12-24 inches but hopefully will improve with time. It might need more moisture than my garden can provide in the growing season but Im keeping my fingers crossed.



Ive tried a few slipper orchids-Cypridiums in recent years but with some disappointments. Ive failed with two different species so far, but the hybrid "parville" that I got at Chelsea last year has been successful. This year I purchased the species Cypridium regina which is supposed to be reasonably 'easy' and despite one stem appearing to die the rest are growing well.
Im hopeful that it will last some time and that I can find a suitable spot to plant it out eventually.


No comments: