Monday 14 January 2019

Yellow Browed at Tyttenhanger

Hertfordshire's 15th or so Yellow Browed Warbler was found on Friday. Two Cattle Egrets were also found that day at Cheshunt though apparently present since last weekend. As I'd seen eight Cattle Egrets in the County (though back in the early 90's, and at the time the Uk's biggest ever flock) I decided to try for my second county Yellow Browed.
As I was getting  my gear out, William arrived with Jane Free. As it was her first visit to the site we painted out the various hot spots as we walked over to the bridge over the conveyer belt where one or two locals were already present. Unfortunately though they had been there for several hours there had been no sign of the bird. Interestingly, despite assertions that the bird was on its own. the Yellow Browed appeared shortly after a flock of crests arrived. it wasn't easy to see-the fence panel on the bridge restricting the view. However we did get better views on the one occasion it reached the top of a small willow. One of the regular wintering Chiffchaffs also put in an appearance at the same time, then they disappeared. I stuck around for a while but they didn't appear again until noon, long after I had got home. Unfortunately the light was really poor and I never did get any images though many others have obtained good shots, and even video clips.
So after a very productive weekend I am a good 30+ species up on my usual total for recent Januarys and I still have a couple of weekends to go.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You got "crests"!