Sunday 20 January 2019

Waxwings

I had a couple of rough days this week, so didn't feel like going out this weekend. However, this morning I was able to spend a couple of hours locally.
I woke to a rather hard frost, possibly the worst of the winter as my very tender fuchsia fulgent has finally lost its foliage and flowers. There was even frost on the mini greenhouse. However in the sunshine it didn't feel too bad as I headed down the A10, where the car recorded -4 degrees at one point.
I spent around 40 minutes lurking in a tiny park in Cheshunt hoping the two Cattle Egrets would appear, but it turned out they had departed about an hour before I arrived. It didn't seem like ideal habitat for them but they have been in the area for two weeks now. Three Beds birders arrived but didn't stay long as I had a message from Alan Meadows that the Waxwings were back in Wicke's car par in Hertford, so I followed them.
When I arrived I found many local birders staring up at one tree in a rather busy car park, along with many bemused shoppers. The birds showed really well while I was there but were difficult to photograph at times as most were obscured by twigs and branches, and the very bright sunshine played havoc with contrast and shadows. However here's the best I got.

No comments: