Sunday 6 January 2019

Amwell Today

I didn't have a good day yesterday, and wasn't up for a long day out today. However, having had breakfast I decided to pop down to Amwell for a couple of hours in the hope of adding a few year ticks without overdoing it too much.
The usual big Sunday crowd was there of course. As usual, the Russian Whitefronts had departed at first light, and i missed the two local Ravens as well. The usual assortment of wildfowl were present, with a lot of Greylags flying in at 0930-though without any extra species. One Sparrowhawk spent a lot of time perched in a birch by the hide and every now and again flew out hunting Snipe, though we only saw the one bird it flushed. Phil picked up a distant Parakeet and a few thrushes, and we had a few passerines fly over though most seemed to be Chaffinch. No sign of the Bittern all morning, though I understand it came out in the afternoon.
I went for a walk over to Hollycross hoping to pick up a flock of Redpoll and the marsh Tits was was unsuccessful, in fact there wasn't a great deal in the area. On the way back, two Kingfishers flew over Tumbling Bay and I crossed the bridge into the woods where one of the regulars was watching two Treecreepers. He mentioned that the Redpolls were in the birches by the Bittern Pool so I retraced my steps and counted at least 12, though I have been told that there are 17 around at the moment. I went back over the bridge with William as he still needed the Treecreepers, but unfortunately they were no longer around. All we had were the big flock of Siskins and some tits.
Back at the view point I stuck around for a bit as it was warmer with some brief periods of sunshine. This brought out the Kites and Buzzards. The gull numbers had built up somewhat, though there was nothing unusual among them.

No comments: