Friday 14 September 2018

Ravens at Amwell

I have had a week off, mainly to work in the garden. Despite the many hours outside, I didn't get many birds, though the three local Robins took a great deal of interest whenever I did any digging. The only notable birds were two Buzzards over on Thursday, and a Coal Tit in the Rowan on Monday-they are best described as a scarce visitor to the garden.
On Sunday, I did go out for an hour or two. Work at Amwell has cleared much of the area in front of the view point and some deeper pools had been created, so I thought I'd pay a visit just in case the new exposed mud would bring in flocks of waders (never going to happen but we live in hope). William Bill and Barry were there so it was good to catch up as I haven't been down for several months, though I haven't really missed much (apart from the much needed Sandwich Terns the previous Sunday).
The first birds I saw were two Ravens over the woods, seemingly playing with up to four Red Kites. Now and again one would come a bit closer and they were very vocal-easily heard despite the distance. A couple of Buzzards, a Sparrowhawk and two regular Hobbies added to the interest. For most of the regulars the 'highlight' was the feral Barnacle Goose, which may have been the first of the year, and a Redshank briefly.
Also Ring Necked Parakeets were around much of the time with about a dozen flying low over us, and then later in the trees opposite.
As far as waders were concerned, there were only Lapwings on the islands until I picked up a Common Sandpiper. Apparently there are two around and a second bird appeared on the new scrape.
There weren't many ducks around, apart from a few Tufted, Pochard, Mallards and Gadwall. Apparently there have been a few Pintail around and  lots of Shoveller. Presumably the work has disturbed them. Eventually two Teal did appear.
Hirundines were often flying through. I saw a few Sand Martins early on, and there were a few Swallows, but the majority were House Martins, with maybe 50-60 birds in the 2.5 hours I was there. Not a massive count by normal autumns, but they have been really scarce for me this year.
Pretty rubbish shot of one of the Ravens. A long way off and  badly underexposed unfortunately.


No comments: