Saturday 28 April 2018

County tick-Stone Curlew

A sore throat arrived Thursday night, and by Friday had developed into a bad cold, so after a phone call to Colin, the weekend was cancelled.
This morning I was just about well enough to take Mum shopping, but by the time I got back I was feeling pretty rough, so rested for a while. Woke up from a doze just before noon, so decided to browse Twitter and my hear sank with the news that a Stone Curlew had been showing well at Norton Green. This was the third record for the site-I missed the second by 24 hours as I had deliberately searched for one early one morning, failed only to hear that one was seen the next morning! Naturally it had gone by the time I got there.
Feeling kind of ok, I decided to get down there anyway and hope that it was still showing. I found one birder-Murray Orchard,  and no bird. We scanned the last reported position and then decided to search the whole area having been joined by one of the guys from London. We had no success until Mike Illet was phoned and he gave us specific directions. It was a hell of a long way on the edge of a ploughed field and only popping its head up occasionally. 
I managed to get a very poor record shot as a few others arrived. Unfortunately nothing like Mike's images.


No comments: