Sunday 15 April 2018

Ashwell Dung Heaps

I finally managed to get up to Ashwell today. It hasn't been all that great this year-one or two Wheatear, a few Yellow and White Wagtails and and an odd Rock or Water Pipit (no-one seems sure and as far as I know its not been photographed).
Unfortunately I was expecting sunshine, but what I got was overcast and misty conditions with a cold southerly wind. Most of the old heaps have gone-there is nothing left of the one between Ashwell and Newnham, and the one east of Ashwell near the dairy farm is now grassed over, leaving one big one on the road further north. Its not very pleasant either, thanks to the rain there are an awful lot of brown puddles on the road and my car doesn't look particularly nice (out smell) at the moment.
Over the course of about 45 minutes, I had at least three singing Corn Buntings, a pair of Linnets, a pair of Reed Buntings, lots of Skylarks, one Buzzard and one male Yellow Wagtail. Two other cars loads were present-Aubrey and his wife and another non-local who I haven't met before.





When i got home I spent some time setting up a table top studio as my Arum Creticum (Kew Form) is looking quite nice at the moment.


No comments: