Tuesday 13 March 2018

Amwell

Following the recent cold snap, I was able to get out on Sunday for a couple of hours in what almost passed for a mild Spring morning. Unfortunately although mild, there was little in the way of sunshine, but the southerly winds promised the possibility of an early migrant.
I went to Amwell, hoping that one of the Smew might still be around-it wasn't. However the Pintail that arrived earlier in the week were still present-three nice drake birds. A pair of Goldeneye remained and the big flock of Wigeon eventually dropped in. A few Teal were on the main lake but I had got the impression that wildfowl numbers are starting to decline. However, nine Egyptian Geese appeared, and shortly after, a Shelduck arrived-I'm presuming from Rye Meads.
Bill had run his moth traps and brought down a few specimens-I got this image of an Oak Beauty on the fence rail.


He went off with the rest of the Sunday regulars leaving me and Ron to keep an eye from the viewpoint. One interesting 1w winter gull provoked some interest as it seemed to tick most of the Caspian boxes, and when I got home to look at the images I'm pretty sure it was one. Another 3w gull was more tricky though. Initially I thought it was just a Herring Gull, but was a lot darker mantled, being almost the same as a nearby adult Common Gull, but a bit too pale for Lesser Black Backed. Structurally it didn't quite match my expectations of Yellow Legged Gull, but the bill and reddish eye ring seemed to point in this direction-thats what I have put it down as for now.



Ron had to leave so I intended to walk up to Tumbling Bay and check for Smew but met everyone half way there with negative news so I joined them and headed off to the Hollycross feeders. Not much to see there though, apart from a Coal Tit and a few Long Tailed Tits and Goldfinches. The first Prunus blossoms were out on the trees by the bridge, contrasting nicely with the catkins.
We returned to the viewpoint and I spent a bit of time here before leaving. Scanning the skies produced two Red Kites, two or more Buzzards and a Sparrowhawk. Hirundines were conspicuously absent, which was pity as several sites had been reporting their first Sand Martins and it seemed like the weather was just right for one or two early birds to appear.

No comments: