Wednesday 18 October 2017

Two Barred Greenish Warbler

Back in 1996, Colin and I had an amazing mid October, with many very rare birds seen over a week and one day stands out for various reasons. We watched the sun rise over the chemical works on Teeside before picking out a Great Knot in the half light. There was then a long drive down to Holme in  Norfolk for Colin's first Isabelline Shrike (and my second in three days), and I seem to remember Wryneck and Red Breasted Flycatcher there as well. Then we went to Wells Wood for a Two Barred Greenish Warbler which gave everyone the run around. We heard it call, but few actually got to see it-Colin sat down for a bit, saw it but I didn't. I remember getting back to the car park completely shattered, had a coffee  before Steve Gantlett appeared to say it showed well after we left. I couldn't face going back and staring at the pines again, so left for home via a Blythes Pipit at Weybourne. We don't seem to have autumn days like that anymore.
Yesterday I got a call from Colin asking that since he had caught me up with the Rock Thrush wether I would like to get one back on him. Turned out that a possible Arctic Warbler in Dorset on Sunday had been re-identifuied as a Two Barred Greenish Warbler. I said yes.
We decided to leave at six, hoping that we would miss the A1M, M25 rush hour traffic. We didn't, and it was a very slow run down to the M3, but surprisingly the Winchester-Southampton stretch was trouble free. Had the expected delays on the A31 though and we arrived at St Adhelms head around 0930.
The bird has been frequenting the small wood and  bushes on the quarry edge, but with limited viewing space it was rather difficult. Added to the problem is that we could only see the tops of the trees and one or two elders and field maples-much of the wooded area was completely out of view.
After about 40 minutes we became aware that some of the birders to our right and higher up had seen it, and I noticed a warbler drop down low in one of the maples, got a superb view of the Two Barred as it popped out, perched on a branch briefly , though only a few near me could actually see, it before it flitted up and over the Sycamores.
The next 40 minutes were very frustrating as it was glimpsed occasionally. A few managed to see it from the quarry gate, though the viewing angle was very restricted. Some of us tried to view up the slope and into the back of the trees but there were only sporadic views. I eventually made my way back to the top and was just getting the camera set up again when there was a big rush to the southern end which was more open, and we discovered that it had been showing very well in the big Sycamores there. I had some lovely views of it actively feeding, it then dropped down into an Ash, in front of Colin before we lost it again.
So it was back to the main viewing area again for another wait. Colin left, so I had a quick chat with William before he departed. The next half hour or so was very frustrating. I had staked out a good spot with a clear view, but the Two Barred never obliged, with only the occasional glimpse from time to time. Several Firecrests were more visible, but even so, I was never able to get the camera onto any birds, so with conditions deteriorating (drizzle and fog all day getting worse) I eventually left without any photos. Then again, neither did most of the other photographers.
Initially I had thought about spending the afternoon elsewhere-maybe Portland or Poole harbour but with visibility down to 200 yards in places we decided it wouldn't be worth it, and the run back was rather slow anyway as the M3 was shut, which wouldn't have been much fun had we been coming back in the rush hour.

No comments: