Sunday 3 September 2017

Queen of Spain

I remember a Queen of Spain Fritillary at Minsmere in I think 1995, and was very jealous of the photos taken by the then rare bird photographers, as I never got to see it. I thought I might have a chance of seeing one a couple of years ago when they were reported over a couple of years near Chichester. The sightings were publicised late in the year, but unfortunately they were not seen the following year.
Four were seen at a farm near Peacehaven last weekend, and by the time Colin and I could get down yesterday, one male remained. We followed the instructions on the Sussex Butterfly Conservation page and parked at the farm, and only had to walk a few yards to where the small crowd was surrounding the butterfly.
It proved to be rather flighty, ranging over a fair bit of ground but given time we were all able to obtain very satisfactory views and images.






The meadow proved to be very good for butterflies with at least four Clouded Yellows (my first for a couple of years) large numbers of all three whites, Brown Argus and Adonis Blues were abundant, and there were a few Small Coppers,Common Blues and Chalkhill Blues. No vannesids though, which was rather unusual.
I met a guy there who gave us instructions on how to get to Castle Hill, and we met up with him when we got there. Classic steep chalk downland hills and valleys, and lots of Adonis Blues, Small Heaths and Chalkhill Blues. Thanks to his guidance, and another person we met when we got onto the right hillside, I managed to see three Wartbiters.



Interesting flowers included Round Headed Rampion, various Hawkweeds and Autumn Ladies Tresses. A few Autumn Gentians were still flowering, as were Common Milkwort, Centaury and Eyebright.


No comments: