Saturday 25 March 2017

Amwell

Spent a couple of hours at Amwell this morning with Bill and William. Although a very sunny day, the raw north easterly was a bit unpleasant.
There has been a lot of work done around the reserve recently, a lot of trees have been removed-not sure why and a wedge has been 'layed' though trashed might be more appropriate. The water levels are still rather high though I was told that Barry did adjust the sluice before heading off to southern Argentina and a south atlantic cruise.
Most of the wintering duck have departed, with one drake Wigeon remaining. One Egyptian Goose is around, but I missed a very quick visit by a pair of Shelduck. Waders almost non existent of course as there is hardly any habitat for them, though a pair of Redshank have returned.
Several singing Chiffchaffs and a rather quiet Blackcap were the only hint of spring until late in the morning when a Comma and a few Brimstones appeared.

Rather than take the usual camera gear I too the GX8 with me, as a Panasonic Leica 100-400 lens arrived yesterday. The combo hardly weighs anything compared to my usual gear and made for a more comfortable walk. The lens focuses reasonably close should be good for insects and things. Didn't get to shoot any of those so once I got home I tried it on a few garden plants.





No comments: