Saturday 18 April 2015

Wood Warbler

Paid a quick before work visit to Norton Green yesterday. Despite the bright sunshine is was rather cool with a north easterly breeze. Did a quick 30 minute circuit with nothing much apart from the usual pair of Red Legged Partridge and a couple of Whitethroats.
Today I intended to go up to the Therfield area to search for Ring Ouzels, but confirmation that yesterday's Wood Warbler at Nomansland Common was still present caused me to change plans. I got there at 100 and spent an hour in the wood north of the road. Lots of Blackcap, Chiffchaff, tits and (hooray!) Treecreepers singing. Found a nice clump of Bluebells and shortly after heard a distant trill of a Wood Warbler. Spent the next half hour failing to locate the bird, being joined eventually by another birder. We stuck it out for a while and I heard it again along the north edge but it was frustratingly elusive and we never got any satisfactory views. Later heard that Ian Bennell had seen a ring on it when he was there-singing more frequently as well.
I then decided to go up to Coombe Road as five Ouzels had been seen in the paddocks by the farm. Well all I saw when I arrived were two Mistle Thrush and a few Blackbirds and Swallows. I did drive up and down the road stopping off to check various spots but clearly the birds if they were still there were out of view from the road. Did get to see a Small White butterfly.

No comments: