Sunday, 1 March 2015

March 1st at Amwell-Ravens!

Never got round to writing anything last week, so here is a summary.
Saturday morning I went to Rye Meads. Although bright and sunny at times, the northerly wind was rather cold to put it mildly. A nice male Bullfinch was showing just beyond the Water Vole bridge-Alan Harris and the ringing team were rebuilding one of their access bridges. There were three Green Sandpipers on the Draper scrape, and the first of several Water rails was encountered. In the distance, the birds on the lagoons kept going up-a Sparrowhawk went through every now and again. One or two Cetti's were seen, with one rather nice individual sunning itself but always out of view of the camera. The water being high on the lagoons held mainly the usual assortment of gulls and wildfowl including three Shelduck. Did not see a great deal anywhere else and I never got any images either.
Sunday was a bit milder so I went for a walk around Aston End and up the Beane valley. The tits and finches singing in the woods were  extremely loud, but it was pretty quiet elsewhere. A few Yellowhammer, Skylarks and Meadow Pipits were seen in the valley, but thrush numbers were lower than in january, with around 50 Fieldfare, and a small group of Mistle, Song Thrush and Redwings. Heard a Little Owl again, but like last time did not see it.
With the recent strong winds and cold rain, I did not expect to go out this weekend, but this morning wasn't too bad, lots of Sun, but with a north westerly gradually increasing as the morning progressed. Saw several Red Kites and Kestrels on the way down, no doubt enjoying the conditions but I missed the Peregrine arriving moments too late, as the Sunday regulars joyfully greeted me. The Smew have not been seen for a few days now, but there are still several Goldeneye present, and for once a sizeable flock of Wigeon.
I walked through the woods, picking up some Redwing and one or two Siskin, but did not see the expected Treecreeper. I was joined by Richard Pole and we went down to the Hollycross feeders. Apart from the usual Great Tit, Blue Ti and Chaffinch it was quiet. However I noticed a Buzzard over Easeneye Wood being mobbed. Expecting a Rook or Carrion Crow until the size and the tail shape became apparent. The Raven was quickly joined by a second and we were treated to great but rather distant views before they dropped into the wood.
Walking back did not produce anything else of note though we both spent some time searching for the Treecreepers again.
Not a big image, but the tail is a giveaway!

No comments: