Wednesday 31 December 2014

Comet Lovejoy

Well its the last day of 2014, and I have done absolutely nothing in the way of birding since I went down to Cheshunt the weekend before last. I have had to go out a couple of times to do some shopping-kept my eye open for the Town centre Peregrine, not sure if it's still around and all I saw were feral pigeons and a Pied Wagtail. The garden is busy as usual, with a few House Sparrows coming in, two Robins, one or two Dunnocks, Blackbirds, Blue and Great Tits and Wood Pigeons. Have not seen a Collared Dove anywhere for a good four weeks now. Bit of a mystery as they have been ever present locally since the 80's.
The last couple of frosty nights has been useful, despite the bright Moon. Low down in the south, Comet Lovejoy C/2014 Q2 is slowly moving north, and on Monday night was some twelve degrees above my light polluted horizon. Managed a couple of poor images with the 300mm F4 lens, with ten second exposures at iso 2000. Currently naked eye from a dark location, it is difficult for me in my 7x42 binoculars, but is likely to be quite nice later on in January.


No comments: