Saturday 3 May 2014

Wood Sandpiper

I did not know what I would be doing today. Despite an overnight frost it promised to be a sunny day, and reasonably warm so I thought about visiting Waterford heath and try and find Grizzled Skippers. However a tweet from Amwell sent me there instead.
Glad I took my heavy coat as despite the warm sunshine there was still a nasty cold wind to contend with, and even when  I left it was still a bit cool.
The Wood Sandpiper spent most of the morning on the mud in front of the view point, though occasionally the resident redshanks took exception to it and it flew to the main island on a couple of occasions. Being the first of the year for Herts it proved attractive and generated a sizeable crowd.
Yesterday's Common Sandpipers had gone, as had most of th hirundines, but there were a few more Swifts today, and two Hobbys were also seen.




Had a stroll over to Hollycross with William now that the Dragonfly Trail had re-opened. We had a single Large Red Damselfly, several Green Veined Whites, Orange Tips Tortoiseshells and Peacocks. The orchids were just starting to flower, the usual mixed assemblage of Early and Southern Marsh hybrids.

No comments: