Saturday 6 July 2013

Only Brown Butterflies

Warm and sunny this weekend so I thought I'd try for a few.butterflies in the local area.
Started off on the Barton Hills. Turned out to be a bit breezy and all I saw on the way up to Ickneild Way were my first Meadow Browns of the year and a few Ringlets. Expected to see some Blues.
Went into the Hoo Bit reserve which is looking quite good. More Browns and Ringlets plus a few Speckled Woods. Lots of Common Spotted Orchids, but I could only locate two Flys looking well past their sell by date.
Birds rather quiet, the local Kestrel pair seen on the way up, with a few tits and Whitethroats in the hedges. Two Willow Warblers in Hoo Bit-they seem to be a bit hard to find locally this year.




After this I thought I'd go over to Deadmans Hill. There have been no Quail reports as of yet, and I did not hear one today. Couple of Buzzards and Kites as expected, plus a flyover Yellow Wagtail.
More Meadow Browns, a couple of Ringlets and two Small Heaths.

No comments: