Wednesday 8 May 2013

Quick Update

Have not done any birding for a bit-Mums been very ill and my own health problems have got on top of me. Luckily things seem to be improving somewhat.
Sarah has been up from Hoddesdon fro a few days, and I ran her back home today. Decided to call in briefly at Amwell basically to try and chill out a bit and get my stress levels down. I got there just after 6pm and ran into Jay who was leaving. As usual I missed the good bird-a Little Tern had gone through in the morning.
Not much seemed to be happening at the watchpoint. A few Common Terns loafing on the mud seemed to be the main item of interest until I noticed that the Little Ring Plovers were among them. Wether they will breed or not remains to be seen. The Oystercatchers are nesting again, but I am not sure about the Redshank. Warblers a bit quiet-a few Reed and Sedge, one Whitethroat a few Blackcaps and one Chiffchaff were singing.
I noticed a Hobby over the island to the south as Barry arrived. Its been coming and going for a day or two, but I suspect insect numbers are still a bit low-there were no hirundines or swifts. A few large gulls were arriving-I had seen one on a post, a 1st summer bird and briefly considered Caspian but dismissed the idea. Barry of course spotted it and realised it was the Yellow Legged Gull that had been around since the autumn which I have photographed on more than one occasion.

Hopefully will be able to get out and about a bit more once things improve-Dragonflies are flying and the first orchids are out and I am missing the bluebells which are peaking soon.

No comments: