Saturday 20 April 2013

Black Redstart again

I was planning to visit Amwell this morning but decided to call in at Norton Green first. A Winchat had been seen again last night and I thought there might be a chance it would stay despite the clear night.
I got there shortly after nine and bumped into a couple of birders. They said they might have seen it in the northern section.
I pressed on and about half way along the bank the Black Redstart appeared, perched on teasels and flew off. I followed it and relocated it about the time Richard Pople arrived. We got reasonable views of it perched in the bushes. We carried on, but despite a long search involving Alan Ford who had also appeared we never located the Winchat. The Black Redstart showed several times and I managed to get one or two poor record shots.
Had my first local Swallows over the site, and a Lesser Whitethtroat.

Drove out west of Stevenage, encountering a Buzzard and a Raven having an arguement. Very distant but the Raven was very loud-which was how I picked it up.
Never did make it to Amwell.

Did a spot of gardening when I got back-first Comma of the year flying around.



No comments: