Saturday 27 October 2012

Another County Tick

Over the last few days, a grebe at Wilstone which started out as Red Necked, then Black Necked was, when somebody actually looked properly became a Slavonian, the first in the county for some time.
Having had overnight snow and being rather cold and windy, I set out late and only got there just before 1100. Walked up the steps and ran into Mike Illet scoping the bird-rather difficult as it was only a few feet away. Expecting a bird in the middle of the reservoir, I took my scope rather than camera.
Me up with Joan Thompson and we walked over to the jetty hoping to pick up one of the Rock Pipits but  failed. Thought at one point that I heard one go over but it was very windy and I could not locate the bird. Took some time but I eventually located some of the Pintail among the hoards of duck in the middle. There is supposed to be a Black Tailed Godwit still, but I did not go over to the hide to check, instead I called in at Startops just in case any of the Pipits were there-they werent.

No comments: