Sunday 3 April 2011

Amwell Sunday

A nice pleasant morning again with a refreshing cool breeze.
I got down to Amwell a bit earlier than usual and was pleased to see and hear a number of Blackcaps singing. On crossing the bridge I also heard a Willow Warbler. What I did not get to hear was the Sedge Warbler that had been heard earlier.
I had barley got to start scanning the waters when Bill had a call from Jan in the main hide-he was listening to a rather early Reed Warbler. Unfortunately by the time we got there it had shut up. Not much to see from the hide, until the Oystercatchers flew in.
Back at the viewpoint it seemed that the big influx of migrants reported nationally yesterday just was not happening to us and it proved to be rather quiet until a couple of parties of Swallows went through. After a couple of hours, my hay fever was starting to get a bit much and so I decided to leave, but just as I was going, someone found a Sand Martin over the water.

No comments: