Saturday 3 April 2010

Tyttenhanger migrants

Just for a change, I paid a visit to Tyttenhanger this morning. Lots of overnight rain made it rather muddy, and it was a bit fresh as well.
Walking along the river, I heard my first Willow Warbler of the year, but did not get much else. At Willows Farm puddle, two Oystercatcher, and two Redshank were nice to see, but there was no sign of the plastic Ruddy Shelduck. The only wagtails were Pied.
Bumped into Ricky and Graham on my way through the wood where more Willows were singing along with Chiffchaff. They had a Blackcap, but it was silent for me.
Over the causeway, large flocks of hirundines fed, mainly Swallow, but also single Sand Martin and my first House Martin. On the causeway itself, a couple of Pied Wagtails fed along with a cracking male Yellow Wagtail.
Up at the farm, I found at least three Tree Sparrow-for some reason, I rarely see them here. Apparently numbers are up this year. More hirundines over the main pit, with another pair of Redshank, and at last a fly by Ruddy Shelduck! Wont be ticking it. The spit held a large number of Common Gulls as well as the expected Lesser Black Back and Black Headed. The Wheatear that has been present in the sheep field eluded me.

No comments: