Sunday 7 March 2010

Spring in the Air


I came home from Norfolk to find out that the frogs in my pond have been busy and there is spawn everywhere. Over the last five years or so, spawning has been in mid February, so they are a bit late. The heavy frost overnight zapped some of it, but they have been busy again today.
The Snowdrops are starting to go over a bit, but the crocuses are at their peak.



Over the last few days, a drake Goosander has been visiting Fairlands Lakes. Due to disturbance it is usually off fairly early. I thought Sunday morning nine AM would be ok. It wasn't, as it departed half hour earlier.
I drove around for the following hour, visiting a few spots. There was no sign of any Corn Buntings over at Deadman's Hill, I had hoped to at least hear one or two singing. Yellowhammer were seen frequently, and there was a flock of Linnet. Fieldfare seem to be present in small numbers everywhere. Apart from a Kestrel, I did not see any raptors in the cold spring sunshine.
A drive down the narrow muddy lanes west of Stevenage and Hitchin was entertaining to say the least hairy as there seemed to be a car rally going on. As a result, I did not have an opportunity to stop for a scan, so I carried on. I had hoped to see one or two Red Kite, as well as Buzzard, and there is usually a Little Owl or two as well.
I eventually ended up at a site where Raven can be seen. As I arrived, one was seeing off a Buzzard before returning to the tree, where it spent the next ten minutes calling.

No comments: