Saturday 13 June 2009

Quail





This morning I was at Amwell, though things were pretty quiet. Highlight of sorts was a moulting drake Red Crested Pochard and a pair of Oystercatcher.
Plenty of dragonflies on the wing now, including my first Emperor and Black Tailed Skimmer of the year.
I spent a few hours just east of Baldock this afternoon, where several Quail have been calling for a week or so and showing quite well. The area is a stronghold of Corn Bunting, and many birds were singing, and there were lots of Skylark and a few flyby Yellow Wagtails too.
Over a period of about two hours we had three distant sightings of Quail crossing the track, including a pair of birds, and later on one female crossed quite close to us enabling me to otain a few images.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Phil

It was me who asked if you'd be posting your Quail pics, when we meet near Baldock at the weekend. You can imagine surprise when I saw the photos here! Glad you got such a good sighting in the end. Maybe slightly envious! Ihink I've done enough Quail-watching/waiting for one summer, but will try again next year in the hope of views as good as these.

cheers, James